giovedì 3 luglio 2008

IBIOCAT Science&Art – Chris Drury: A Land Artist Working with Nature

From Chris Drury's statement:

 

"I am categorised as a land artist or someone who works with art and nature. In reality my work explores nature and culture, inner and outer. I travel and walk in out-of-the-way places, often alone. More recently I have been looking at Body as Landscape or systems within the body and systems on the planet.

 

Body as a Landscape- These are Science/Art crossover projects, mostly done in conjunction with hospitals and medical imaging technologies. I have been looking at blood and water flow patterns, wave patterns from echocardiograms and in naturally occurring formations in landscape, rock and tree barks. I have also been looking at plants and their poisonous / medicinal effects on the body. This area is a continuing source of inspiration and connective ideas which I will continue to explore.

 

Mushroom & Hand-written Text Works - Ever since Medicine Wheel, made in 1982, where I used a spore print at the centre to mirror the whole work, I have continued to use the image of the mushroom.

In a sense, fungi are the great recyclers of our planet. They break down dead organic matter to form the basis of the soil on which all life on earth depends. More than that, I am simply drawn to their mysterious beauty. By introducing hand written text following the pattern of the gills I have been able to add layers of meaning and direction to these works".

 

 

Learn more about Chris Drury's art by visiting his website: http://www.chrisdrury.co.uk/

 

 

Laura Cipollina- IBIOCAT, Divisione Marketing e Commerciale

 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento